This is a reasearch and development project which is about gathering people's experiences of being affected by cancer whilst also living with a mental health condition. We also talk to people who have been affected by cancer who care for someone with a mental health condition.
Our Achievements so Far!
- We have developed a 'passport to my health and wellbeing'. This is a paper document which helps people who are living with cancer and a mental health condition describe what they need from health professionals, to make life easier for them.
- We haved developed some E-learning which can help if you want to know more about cancer and how to prevent it, you can find the E-learning here
- From the beginning we have talked to and involved people who have experience of living with a mental health condition and being affected by cancer.
Ways you can get involved if you have experience of cancer and mental health:
- We have a co-production group that runs monthly, where people with experience get together to help make decisions and design new solutions that could help others in the future.
To be a part of this group please contact Sarah Jane, Project Lead.
Ways to get involved if you are a health professional:
We are always looking to connect what we do with other professionals, especially if you work in mental health or cancer care. Please contact Sarah Jane directly if you want to know more about our work, attend our steering group or just be updated about our progress.
Please note this is a research project, not a counselling service. If you require support for any emotional difficulties please contact Open Mind Therapies. For more information on cancer and support, visit Macmillan website here.
Who is this service for?
- People aged 18 and over that live in Teesside
- Have been affected by cancer in some way
- Or work in mental health or cancer services
What happens next?
The Macmillan Mental Health Cancer Care Research Lead will get in touch and arrange a suitable time to meet with you to explain more about the project and the ways you can get involved.