If you have a mental health issue and would like support to be more active, Active Minds can help.
Active Minds aims to offer a range of physical activities and sport as a means of improving your mental health and wellbeing.We will help you to access a range of activities in 5 local community venues in Stockton-on-Tees, through Tees Active.
You will have plenty to choose from, we will find out what sports and activities you enjoy and also help you try something new. As well as participating in the project, there are opportunities to volunteer as a Sports Mentor and help others to benefit.
Participating in sport and physical activity is associated with the following benefits:
- Improved physical health, mental health and wellbeing
- Reduction in stress, anxiety and depression
- Improved confidence, motivation and self-esteem
- Weight loss
- Improved social life, meeting new people and having some fun!
Who is this service for?
We work with people who:
- Want to use physical activity and sport as a means of improving their mental health and wellbeing
- Experience mental health issues and also have long term physical health conditions
- Find starting something new difficult
- Don't have the confidence to participate
- Don't know what's available or how to access it
- May need someone to support them to attend
What happens next?
You can contact us yourself or ask a professional who could refer you.
Following referral we’ll help you decide what sport or activity could work for you. Some may be sports that you have previously done, while others may be completely new. We will also help you find something that fits into your schedule and if you would like to do something on your own, or with others in one of our group sessions.
You could also receive support from a volunteer peer navigator to support you to access Tees Active sport and leisure facilities.
Activities and sessions will take place in Tees Active venues including Stockton Splash, Billingham Forum, Thornaby Pavilion, Thornaby Pool and Tees Barrage International White Water Centre. There is such a broad range of sports and activities to choose from.
For further details of activities and venues please visit www.teesactive.co.uk.