Reablement Christmas tips!
By Middlesbrough and Stockton Mind
We understand that living with a Long Term Condition can be difficult, and can impact on different areas of your life, especially in the winter months. Christmas can add on a lot more pressure from family commitments to buying presents and for people with a physical and/or mental health condition, it can be overwhelming. Our Reablement Service can help to improve how you manage your Long Term Condition and today we've listed some christmas tips to keep you well and most importantly look after yourself throughout the festive season.
Rest and Relaxation
- Balance activity and rest to reduce burnout
- Have a relaxing bedtime routine
- When overwhelmed, sit quietly and focus on your breathing for 5 minutes
- Try out some festive colouring or quizes to focus your mind and distract from pain or other symptoms
- Snuggle up under a blanket and watch your favorite Christmas Movies
- Don't put off going to social events, even if you only go for an hour, it's healthy to maintain connections to reduce depression, lonliness & isolation
- Find out about community events or lunches near you!
- Find a sense of purpose by inviting friends or family to you if you can't get out - make it easy with pre prepared nibbles and drinks
Plan and Organise
- Create 'To Do' Lists for shopping, chistmas cards and things that need doing over the festive period
- Delegate some of the tasks you have to others
- Make shopping easier by going online!
- Stock up on winter essentials - Cold and flu remedies and Vitamins.
- Make sure you have enough Gas and Electricity on key metres
- Put repeat prescriptions in early so you don't run out of medication!
- Don't try doing everything yourself
- Remember there is no such thing as a 'perfect' christmas
- Embrace & enjoy the festive spirit
- Have some fun! Play games, get creative, enjoy christmas TV
- Stay within your budget
- Remember the true meaning of Christmas!
To find out more about our Reablement service, click here or call 01642 257020.